If you are a writer or use a laptop on a regular basis, you know the struggle of doing operations without your function keys available. The function key applications are absolutely lifesaver as they can help you in saving time and struggle alike. These keys, with just a click, process a command while providing you with absolute ease.
Most of the time this option is not readily available on laptops, same as wireless capability, especially coming from Toshiba. If you are confronted by this problem, need not worry as I have the perfect solution to your problem.
Now, you can easily make these keys functional with just a few steps. So, in this article, I have answered your question on how to enable function keys on Toshiba laptops with some useful tips and tricks. So, dive right in.
What are Function Keys?
In order to understand these commands, it is ideal that you know what functional keys are. In simple words, the functional keys often referred to as F Keys, can be found on the top of your keyboard. These are responsible for different functions and are numbered from 1 to 12.
Each key is dedicated to a function based on its shortcuts. The function of these keys is primarily dependent on your manufacturer’s setup, operation system, and layout of the specific laptop. Here is a comprehensive guide that can give you an idea about these function keys and their operations;
- F1 is primarily used for the help button or opening the menu.
- F2 is designed to highlight a folder or a file.
- F3 is primarily designed for opening a search option.
- F4 helps you with address or find the search bar.
- F5, as everyone knows, refreshes your browsers.
- F6 is designed to move your cursor to the address bar.
- F7 is for spell check in word.
- F8 is designed to open the Window startup.
- F9 is primarily designed to refresh your word document.
- F10 is for opening the menu bar.
- F11 helps you in exiting or entering the full screen.
- F12 saves the word document.
Apart from this, you can also use these function keys in combination with other keys such as Ctrl and Shift. For instance, you can use these combinations of brightness adjustments, noise control, and touchpads. Hence, it becomes highly important that you have your function keys working.
Why Do Function Keys Don’t Work on Toshiba Laptop?
Mainly, if we talk about high-end Toshiba laptops, if you are someone new, you will most probably be surprised to know that these function keys don’t work. The primary reason for that is not because they are designed in this way but because they are not enabled yet.
However, you need not to worry as there are many methods with which you can make these keys functional. So, to make them work, you just have to enable them.
How to Enable Function Keys on Toshiba Laptop?
Similarly, in order to make your function keys work, follow these steps;
- To start with, firstly, open the menu bar on your laptop and select all programs. Now, select the Toshiba option.
- After this, you will see that under this option, there is another subcategory named ‘utilities.’ Now, press this option and then choose ‘accessibility.’
- Once you are done opening this bar, you will see that there is a key labeled as Fn; you will have to tick that box. Now, immediately after that, press the F1 key to make sure that it is working. Then, click ok to permit it.
- After this, do this to each key and then press Fn and Esc key at the same time. Doing this will turn off the sound of your computer and will refresh all the icons on your screen.
- In case your Fn key is not working, you will have to press the Fn and Num Lock simultaneously to make sure that your laptop doesn’t have a moist lock. Now, use the F11 key and again check whether your Fn key is working. Now, repeat the fourth step again to activate all the function keys.
- If the key is still not working, you will have to find a technician and consult him/ her as there might be some problem with the hardware.
Now, you are good to go.
Changing the Toshiba Function Keys to Standard F1-F12 Mode
The keys on any Toshiba laptop are arranged in two different ways such as;
- Standard Format can be activated by pressing the function automatically. For this, you will have to press Fn and the special key at the same time.
- The Special Method can be activated by the special key on itself. For this, you will have to press Fn first and then by following keys from F1 to F12.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I enable F1 to F12 keys?
In order to enable the F1 to F12 keys, it is important that you have given them access and have decoded the Fn lock. For this, you will have to permit the Fn key from the menu bar in the accessibility option. From here, you can press the Fn key and any other respective key to give the command.
Why are my F keys not working for the Toshiba laptop?
As Toshiba laptops are designed in a different layout, to use these function keys, you will have to activate them first. To enable these keys, you will first have to permit the Fn keys. In these laptops, you can either follow a standard model or a special method to activate these keys.
How do I enable function keys on my laptop?
For this, you will have to press the Fn key and the shift key on the left side. This will activate the Fn Function Format. Hence, while the Fn light is on, you can press this key and any other special key to give the command.
Now, you can easily enable the function keys on the Toshiba laptop by using this comprehensive guide. The Toshiba laptops are designed with a unique layout that would demand you to follow a procedure, in order to activate these function keys. Thereby, based on your reference, you can choose the desired standard or special method to enable them.
Finally, I hope that you will soon figure out how to enable function keys on your laptop.